Wednesday, April 04, 2007

YES! Sanjaya Stays!


I LOVE SANJAYA

So... check it out...I'm watching Idol, and
wondering, how in the world there is so much
mediocre talent on primetime?

They just had some horrid, weird crooner on,
to uh... entertain us...?*(like listening to a
dentist drilling a back tooth).. Michael Blase',
(?... something like that... never heard of him,) and
he sang a 1,000,000 year old song, COMPLETELY
FLAT,
Auhggggggghhhhhh!!!! (..I had to turn the
sound wayyyyy--yyy down.) Then, he tried to be
swinging and hip, by saying, he voted for the
ex-contestant, Antonella, *(the one whose smutty
pictures were dispersed by friends, to get the
sympathy, and teen boy votes.)

Can you say cheeeeeese-y?

I have to confess, I voted for Sanjaya for an hour,
well, tried to, since the lines were busy for an hour.
I got through only twice. I know I'm not alone. THIS
IS THE AMERICAN IDOL, well, at least the only one
whose name we'll remember next year at this time.

Nevermind VFTW, and Howard Stern's endorsement.
This time they got it right. This kid has it head and
shoulders above mediocrity personified in the
performers this year. They're almost worse than
pageant singers. Hmm. Maybe they're almost as
good, not worse?

Everyone commenting on AI this year ( on television )
acts like the contestants this year are so talented,
and I just don't see it, and definitely do not hear it.

I know I shouldn't be so mean, for they have the
guts to go for their dream, but, what about our
entertainment? Do I have to have yet another
pleasurable pasttime eliminated by political
correctness? These finalists are pretty thin
vocally. The loudest ones are deemed powerhouses,
even offkey, with irritating vibratos, and poorly
performed, boring songs, week after week.

What happened to IDOL? Are they putting too
many bad-funny singers through, so the talented
ones never see the light of day? Probably.

This generally unattractive motley bunch of
amateurish contenders, probably flatter
themselves by believing they're now instant
superstars, without having to pay their dues
to sing the blues. They are third rate imitations
of recycled old singers... bad imitations.

None of them sound fresh or exciting, and not
one is better than 100 bucks a week bar singers,
or amateur theater performers. (At least, not to me,
anyway.)

The raw truth is, (IMO) that unlike former years, there
is no Kelly, Constantine, Bo, Justin, Carrie, or Jennifer
Hudson. There's not even a Carmen or Dianna. This year,
there's only SANJAYA!

Sanjaya makes me smile at least! He's infectious. I
realize he's weak vocally, but, he's still talented in
his own inimitable way. He's an original.

I'd not only never pay to hear one of the others,
I would pay to get out of being stuck in the karaoke
bar where they were singing!

You have to understand how much I once loved
AI, and still have a hard time filling the loss of
entertainment during the hour I used to look
forward to all weekend. I was addicted. Now,
I flip back and forth with Dateline, on NBC,
and FoxNews. That's how desperate it is..

Last year, my disillusionment began, with that
grey-haired guy, who kept issuing a headache-inducing
squealing "woooooooooooo" after every syllable,
Thank God, at least he's never been heard from
again.

Randy has all but abandoned his signature
word "pitchy" because, what's the point? That's
the name of this year's tune for the lot of them,
every week.

It would be so nice if one of them sang consistently
near the right key, and lost their dreadful vibratos,
and badly executed be-bopping arpeggio scales.
HORRIBLE to the point of being hysterically
funny, like some cheesy beauty pageant talent
contest at times!

Simon has given up the ghost this year. He is
just a lump, and to avoid Paula's ear-splitting
sound, he generally reiterates Paula's drivelling
nonsense, in a way that will keep her calm.

He seems as bored as the home audience, as
lifeless as their boring songs this season,
and can't even bring himself to be honestly
critical, since, What's the point of it all?

I just slapped myself for being so mean, but,
it's from my heart. I can't believe that these
are the finalists, with all the talent in the
country. It reminds me of politics, and the
choices we're given to lead the free world
as President. It's been choosing the lesser
of two evils for years now.

OK, I'm just blabbering, since I'm doing this
realtime, while the show has it's 20 out of
30 minutes of commercials. I just want to
see if my pet Sanjaya is safe. I have some
anxiety about it.

The bald guy with those strange eyebrows
is safe. I think his name is Phil.

(I don't bother memorizing their names,
because,my brain is too cluttered with useless
things and factoids, and this time next year,
no one will remember them either.)

No wonder Simon looks distracted and dead,
and Paula usually only comments on their good
tries, sounding more insincere, and phony than ever.

OK, Sanjaya is safe. YAY!

Two of the worst, of the other painfully bad
singers, are up on the chopping block. Cindy
and Lisa? Candy and Sandy? *(Again, why
memorize their names, when they are
flash in the pan, short-term irritants?)

Ryan just called the pseudo-rocker chick, Gina.
The other one I think is . ...wait, Ryan called her
Halley. The one with the tongue ring goes. I'm sorry,
but, no one with a tongue ring should be in the finals
of American Idol. It looks trashy, so 1990's, and it
interferes with singing.

buh-bye... Hope I never have to listen to you again.
Get rid of the tongue ring, and try again. (This was
her third try at instant fame.)

Why am I being so mean?

I guess it's because when I take cruises, in the
Caribbean, even the day cruises, there is an endless
supply of excellent entertainers, incredibly talented
young people, with remarkable voices. To see this
bunch of amateurish wannabes try to have instant
fame and riches doesn't seem right.

To pretend they are the best singers out there is
ludicrous.

Yes, I'm being mean, but, since Simon has lost his
edge, and honesty, I'm just trying to keep it real.


No comments: