Saturday, October 14, 2006

Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd, and Johnny Depp





Everyone has unique cultural obsessions. One of mine,
is the simply sublime, Stephen Sondheim.

None of my friends can quite grasp this. My family can,
because, my parents, introduced me to his music, at a
young age. Their great appreciation, for his work,
transferred to me, through osmosis, in the womb, and
it's etched, on strands, of RNA, woven intricately,
into every cell, of my physical existence. Mystically,
it's mixed into the plasma, of my ethereal soul's
elusive substance.

Only, other Sondheim fanatics, can appreciate, this
affection, and ecstatic devotion. I feel blessed, that
he is with us, right now, on the planet, breathing
the same air, exposed to the same realtime. It's like
having Mozart still around...

His music, and lyrics, reach deeper, than even most
of the great classical composers. While I have an
ecclectic taste in music, Sondheim, illuminates all the
nooks and crannies, of what music, does to light up my
essential existence. I can't adequately describe how the
melodies, and poetry, of this genius, inspires me.

If I could have one wish, it would be to spend an hour
in the park, with Stephen, playing games, or just breathing
the same air, and celebrating being alive with him, in his
presence.

Another famous person, I'd like to meet, and thank, for
his work, is Johnny Depp. It's true, that he's one of the
most handsome men, on the planet, but, he is also, a
mesmerizing performer, transforming every role into
something memorable.

If the planet were to continue, for 200 years, (which isn't
likely,) people in the 2200s, would still be appreciative,
towards these great men, we are blessed to have with us, in
our generation.

Sondheim will certainly achieve the status of Tchaikovsky,
Beethoven, Bach, (along with McCartney®/Lennon, of course! )
I think Johnny Depp, would also still be legendary, considered,
the greatest actor, of all time.

It's possible, that I've seen everything, that Depp has been
in. Even, when the films, don't score high praises, his
performances, are always memorable. His range of versatility,
is astonishing.

I hated the film, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,"
yet, I saw it twice. The unique quality that he possesses,
is most enticing, when, this beautiful man, transforms into
freak characters, with realistic depth. I don't know
of anther actor, who can achieve this level, in his art.

Unfortunately, I really thought, "Charlie and the Chocolate
Factory," was horrible, beyond belief, with that inane retro
set, and bizarre Dickensian themes, superimposed upon a
pseudo-contemporary time-frame. It didn't work. Yet, Depp,
was compellingly cloying, and creepy, just like Michael Jackson,
dipped in white chocolate. Wait, Michael Jackson is white, isn't he?
I don't know how Depp does it, or can bring such complexity
to every character.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I was overjoyed, to learn that Depp,is going to be starring,
in the movie version, of "Sweeney Todd," Sondheim's magnum opus.
I think it won more Tony's, than any other show.

Out of all of Sondheim's great works, there's something
special about "Sweeney Todd," that's achieved cult status
with Sondheim lovers, like myself.

I've seen the Broadway musical, live, seven different times,
from when I was very young. My parents saw the first run of
the show, in Philadelphia, before, it was even on Broadway.
They said, it was spectacular and the reaction, from the audience,
was explosive. The roar of "BRAVO!" rang through the air, for
ten straight minutes. It did with every production, I've
seen, since then, as well.

dark masterpiece.Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The reason, I am discussing this, right now, is because,
I just ordered another copy of, "Sweeney Todd," the 1979
Broadway version, with Angela Lansbury, and George Hearn.
I've worn out my last tape. I'm watching it right now,
trying to see Johnny Depp in the lead role, and it works for
me!

I just cannot WAIT until the film is released, later
in 2007.

I do have some fears, however. Tim Burton is directing
the movie, and I don't think, he is consistent. When
he hits the mark, it's a bullseye, but, when he misses,
it's pathetic. Then again, even the great Sondheim, has
had "flops," too.

It makes me nervous, considering, how much I hated,
"Charlie and the Chocoalte Factory," though.

Then again, Burton, has excelled, in the past, in this
similar type of quirky film noir. He has a kindred spirit,
to Sondheim. Like Sondheim, his signature, are those
intoxicating layers, of simultaneously occurring
paradoxes, cloaked in darkness and light, sweetness
and bittersweet, with the range of beauty, from grotesque,
to heavenly.

That's the greatest gift, that Sondheim has, to serve
a symphony of light, or paint a canvas of complementary
shades of darkness, punctuated by laser-like pinholes
of light, like stars in a clear, dark sky.

This production, of "Sweeney Todd," starring Depp, directed
by Burton, has tremendous potential, for perfect alchemy.

It could be one of the most substantial film, in years.
I am praying, that Burton stays true to the spirit, of the
original stage play, and music, without comprimising, or
injecting anything more avante-garde, than that which has
already been established, by Sondheim, and the original
productions.

I've heard different actresses thrown about, for
the important role of Mrs. Lovett, including Meryl
Streep, and Helena Bonham Carter. I can't understand
why Patti Lapone hasn't been mentioned, since, she's
been the latest star to revise the role on Broadway,
and she was marvellous! I would prefer Meryl Streep
to win the part, because, I see how she could do it
justice. She has a really great singing voice, like
Angela Lansbury, and the same genius for comedic
touches. That's why I can't see Helena Bonham Carter.
I think she'd be dreadful in this part, although,
I like her, as an actress.

Patti Lapone, was great, in the latest stage version.
She was the original "Evita." As long as Madonna doesn't
get the Mrs. Lovett role, like she did, with Evita, I know,
I will see the movie 100 times!

While, Madonna has not been mentioned, thank GOD,
it still worries me, alot.

The problem with filming a show, of this magnitude,
is that if they miscast it, it will be a crime, not
only against one of the greatest musicals, in the 20th
Century, but, against one of our national treasures,
and greatest composers of our modern age. I am anxious
to know, who will play the female lead, though. Depp
is going to be magnificent, I think, although, I'm
not sure how his singing will match up. This musical
requires really competent operetta vocals, otherwise,
it will be a flop. Hopefully, Stephen Sondheim, will
not let anyone crucify one of his greatest stage pieces.

I hope Mr. Sondheim, is well, and stays with us, for many
years to come. While he is not as prolific, as he once was,
I cherish him, whatever he does. He is a modern day Shakespeare,
to me. His work will continue, until the last generation
on Earth. If we're that generation, I am greatful, his
music, and vision, was part of the climax of human history.
He represents the best, of the best, in my opinion.

No comments: