Monday, September 25, 2006

Autumnal Contemplations- written sept23


At 4:04, this morning, about seven hours ago,
the Sun, was directly above the equator, which
means that the center of the Sun spends an equal
amount of time above, and below the Equator, at
every location on Earth. (source=wikipedia.)

I live in the land, of perpetual Summer and Spring,
in the tropics of South Florida. It's not exactly
Paradise, with the scorching heat, and humidity,
and propensity to attract deadly hurricanes, and
tropical storms, but, it does beat shoveling snow.

That being said, I miss Fall. In my mind's nose,
I can still smell the fragrant wafts of smoke, of
burning leaves, mixed with the cool North Wind.
I love those early change of temperature days,
I call it, "Sweater Weather."

The season, always felt like a new beginning, probably
because, when I grew up, we started school, after Labor
Day, not in the middle of summer, the way kids do, now.

I always loved Fall fashions. It's wonderful to put
away the skimpy, hot weather necessities, like shorts,
and sleeveless tops, to start to layer. Layering is
a much more sophisticated look, I think. I loved buying
new Fall clothes, for school, and I have such fond
memories of woolen knee socks, and tasseled loafers.

Fall smells clean, with the fragrance of apples, and
Cinnamon, God's natural air-freshening.

Today, is the Autumnal Equinox, which is celebrated,
in some cultures. It represents the balances of nature,
in it's perfection.

I have always loved Halloween and Thanksgiving.

No comments: